Rocco’s blog

Just another myblog.arts site

Portfolio

Making the decision to stop work towards the sequencer

My idea of having a sequencer which plays the motors rhythmically has been where a majority of my time has gone. I have tried hard to make it work, but in the final stretch, I am clueless about what is wrong. I have spent a good 2 months working on the sequencer, and I am now starting to run out of time. I don’t think I will be able to finish the sequencer idea, instrument and EP in the span of time I have. Because of this, I’m putting the sequencer away and going back to the prototype version. Now, motor controllers will modulate the speed of the motors, and you can adjust them, and that’s it. Its a lot more simple, and seems doable in the time frame I have

I have spent the last 2 weeks ill, and my progress was stunted quite a lot. I do believe this outcome would have been the same if I was or wasn’t ill, honestly.

My issue lies with the amplification of the signal into the motor. My op-amp can consistently turn the 1-volt output of the sequencer into 7v, but it seems this isn’t enough the move a motor consistently. My circuit, technically, should be working, but it won’t move the motors. I feel like it would work if it was outputting CV for synthesisers, but not for motors. While I think I can make this circuit work (still), I think the amount of time I need to put into it just for one half of the project is too much, and I need to finish the instrument as soon as possible.

Circuit I’ve been working on
Circuit used in the prototype