Rocco’s blog

Just another myblog.arts site

Portfolio

Using magnets instead of motors

I was talking to Hywel, and he introduced me to the idea of resonating the strings with magnets instead of motors. This removes the motor’s noise and the bulk they produce. Along with this, strings are not that magnetic but are made of metal, which means we can use Lenz’s law effectively. Lenz’s law states that when current flows through metal wire, it becomes magnetically charged (GCSE physics finally becoming useful). This also means we can wire this up to the sequencer and have that shoot bursts of current through the wire, which will hopefully resonate with it.

I have not tested this yet, but if it does work, it should work better than motors.

One issue I’m looking at already is magnetic interference. Would this affect pickups? Would it affect gear nearby? Im not sure, but ill only find out if by doing it.

After trying it out, it doesn’t work (of course). It seems like a very complex idea that if it did work would be amazing. Unfortunately, there are not many examples that use this concept as well.

Despite this, you can use a magnet to play a string or a guitar for that matter, but they need a hand to bring it closer or further away. None are automated like what i want.