Rocco’s blog

Just another myblog.arts site

Sound Studies & Aural CulturesVisiting Practitioner

Richard phoenix

This lecture gave me an insight into a neurodivergent music space that I have never previously heard of. Thinking about it now, makes me realise I can’t think of many neurodivergent musicians in the genres I am familiar with. seeing his approach giving younger neurodivergent artists a place to create, collaborate and generate opportunities for them.

DIY bands was a new term I learnt from this, defining a band that doesn’t follow a set path and when issues arise, creates a different and new solution. DIY bands also create everything themself, which is something I relate to with my sonic practices.

And one of the big issues I think with a disability is that there’s a lot of fear around it of doing the wrong thing. And that stems from ignorance, but that ignorance is really put upon us because people are excluded and are a silent part of society because people are kept on the outside.

-Richard Phoenix

I like this quote because it goes back to my first paragraph. I haven’t heard of these artists because they’re on the outside and can’t make enough noise to be heard, but unintentionally they are excluded. Because of this, I appreciate his work with starting learning disability clubs, organising tours for these bands and more recently helping out younger artists with heart n soul.