Rocco’s blog

Just another myblog.arts site

Portfolio

Jon Rose

Jon Rose is a violinist, composer and instrument maker who creates experimental violins. His work jumped out to me due to the use of motors and bows, reminding me of my work; I looked into some of his creations.

El Lubricato is one string played with a motor or manually; it allows the string to be pressed and played, but this means atonality can also be performed. What I found interesting about this piece is the motor and what he uses to excite the string, being a circular piece of acrylic. This looks and sounds like hurdy-gurdy, which I believe was the inspiration for the exciter for this piece. Another thing I noticed was that the motor was going quite slow, meaning if I wanted to try an exciter like this, I would need a lower rpm motor.

This same exciter can be seen in his Data Driven Violin as well.

Finally, in El Lubricato, he uses an oil drum as a resonator. I haven’t thought about using a resonator in my project yet, but luckily a resonator can be many things as long as the material resonates well and has a hole in it. A resonator would help this project with stability, sound and tone. I think I’ll worry about a resonator when I start creating my final piece because I plan to upcycle parts of this instrument and can spontaneously decide what the resonator will be.

Links

https://www.jonroseweb.com/