Rocco’s blog

Just another myblog.arts site

Portfolio

Turning the tensegrity sculpture into an instrument

While thinking about the tensegrity sculpture, and how it could use motors to play strings on it, why wouldn’t these motors be controllable and used to play music?

The idea of turning this into a weird instrument is intriguing, but how would I do it. My first thought was to have a keyboard, and each note to play a string with a motor. To do this, I would have to convert the midi signal into a motor which plays the right note. while this would work, I’m not confident with coding and would need to modify existing code to get this outcome.

My second idea is to have it work physically. Still using a keyboard, but each note can mechanically turn on and off each corresponding motor, like a switch. This would require less coding and electronics but would need more work to create each mechanical part.

Both ideas can work, but I hate coding so ill look into the physical/mechanical idea. If this doesn’t look like it will work then ill look into coding.

I first thought about how the key would trigger the motor. For this, I designed and did a quick model for it. When the key is pressed, it pushes up another part which would activate the switch. This system, if made better, could only use gravity but for my mock-up, it uses some fish wire.

The other main component I need to figure out is the motors. I’ll need to research what motors to use and how to correctly wire them.