Rocco’s blog

Just another myblog.arts site

Contemporary Issues in Sound Art

Starting the Composition

During Julia Schauerman’s talk on her work and creative process, “MetalWorks” stood out to me. This piece uses recordings of a construction site, slowed down to create the majority of the piece. Doing this creates a great basis to construct on top, as it’s full of texture, rhythm, ambiguity and atonality allowing anything to be added.

I wanted to do something similar to this with glass, slowing it down to create this basis. 

I started with Soniccoutures Glass/Works “Cristal Baschet” on the Hard Mallet setting. This changes the cristal into a percussive instrument. I did this so that when it was slowed down, it would have more texture and interesting sounds.

After this, I added reverb and a heavy compressor to accentuate the peculiar sounds. Also having each hit has a reversed version underneath, so when the sounds started to fade out, they rose into the next hit too.

Only percussive hits

While I enjoyed this draft, I wanted more tonality and harmony to build the piece up. To do this, I got the same VST and recorded them on the accent setting, which is a staccato mode. After this, I slowed it down the same amount and used the same effects.

Percussive and regular sounds

I enjoy both of these sounds, but I think I prefer it without the accented sounds of the cristal. I’ll look into other tones I can create with this method, perhaps with other instruments.